Sunday, June 23, 2013

Mimi: The Tween Zone

In July 2008 I became a mother to this beautiful little six year old girl. This was the moment I met her.  Subhalakshmi was so timid and scared and I was instantly in love. 


It took her a while to warm up to me but her little nearly 3 year old brother was having none of that.  So we took them to the park and let kids do what they do.  This is the first hint of a bemused smile from her toward her little brother.  It would not be the last.



It was a lot of work and time and patience (maybe even some blood, sweat and tears) but slowly she warmed up as she acclimated to her new life and learned to trust us.  By the age of 7 her personality was in full effect:



Then came age 8 and I began to see the beginnings of a feisty little mini me developing! 

By 9 there was NO denying it.  She was a full-on Diva!

And a bit of a drama-queen.  No, really... she even admitted it!




Next came the double-digits and as she turned 10 she seemed to immediately blossom into a young lady, yet still maintaining her youthful innocence. 


And now here we are.  Mimi is 11 years old.  I cannot believe how far we have grown together in these past 5 years.  She came into my life so scared and confused and developed into a spirited, sweet, loving, sensitive and compassionate young girl who always gets in trouble for being "too social."  She has more friends than I can count and it is because her spirit is as bright as her smile.


I am in awe of my daughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment