Monday, October 15, 2012

Grounded!

My kids are amazingly sweet, funny, smart, kind, generous and thoughtful.  It's a shame that they have both been behaving in a manner that casts an unfortunate shadow over those lovely attributes and required extreme measures to be taken in the name of: Grounding. 

This weekend both of my children were subjected to the "in your room and don't come out" variety of punishment.  To be fair I did feed them and allowed them to use the facilities.  I also permitted them to watch TV ever so briefly to witness the Space Jump yesterday as I felt that was educational.  See?  I'm not THAT mean!

I did not even plan to have their friends come to ask them out to play just so that I could gleefully decline the invitation on their behalf.  It just worked out that this happened not once but twice.  These occurrences caused both of their faces to get stuck like this:


We did get a lot accomplished, though.  They had to do their requisite reading for school, complete workbooks at their grade level, clean out drawers and closets and organize toys.  Yesterday we made a quick trip to Target which may as well have been Disneyland as excited as they were to see civilization.

Finally, they heard me watching Iron Man in my bedroom.  They begged and pleaded with me to let them watch it and I said, "You know that Tony Stark is a genius, right?  Do you know WHY?  He is a genius because HE was a good listener and HE followed directions and HE took school seriously!  When you act like Tony Stark, you will be able to watch Iron Man again."  What I didn't count on was Max then moving around my bedroom a la Iron Man. 

Nice try, but .... Denied!




3 comments:

  1. At least it worked out so that they were grounded at the same time. I can't count the number of times I had to try to keep one grounded while still doing stuff for the other.

    Looks like Max and Mimi have learned their lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of years ago Matthew was being sassy so I sent him to his room only to have him start playing guitar really loud. I told him to stop and that I was going to take his amp to which he replied, "You can't take it. I paid for it with my birthday money from Nanna and Poppa." Instead I went to the basement and cut the power to his room (after warning Leila since their rooms are on the same fuse). Sometimes the extreme measures are the ones that make sense.

    Even your Munchkins' sad/angry faces are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering several times over the weekend if you were able to carry it through! You are my Iron Woman!

    ReplyDelete