Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Power of YES!


Last night I spoke to Max (who is with his father this week) and right as we're about to hang up he asks "Mama, can you bring me my bowling pin water bottle?"  

Did he need it?  No.

Was he going to see me (and the water bottle) the following night when he is with me?  Yes.

Could this have waited one night?  Yes.

Why did I say yes?

Because when Max asked me to bring what he has no attachment to or immediate need for what he was really saying is "I miss you, Mommy. I need to see you." 

How can I say no to that?

It is important to go beyond the words and actions of a child to discover the true meaning of what they are trying to say.


My children will never be an inconvenience and seeing the bright smiles on both my kid's faces as they ran to my car where we shared hugs and kisses in a profound and mutual expression of love is always going to be worth my time.

1 comment: