Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Riding the Hogwarts Express

As I've previously shared, my daughter does not quite appreciate or understand my love of reading.  I could never figure out how to impart upon her how incredible it is to read typed words on a page and then feel them come to life in your mind.  It almost seemed like I was describing magic.  And then... it occurred to me...
 
MAGIC!

That's it!  I realized that rather than nudge her head into a book and force her to read like this:


I would instead let my children see the wonders inside of a book by reading them Harry Potter (they already love the movies and have previously asked if we could read the books).  And, so, last night it began and magical it was.
After over 30 minutes we only reached page 11 of the first book.  Why?  Well Mimi kept enthusiastically raising her hand to ask questions during breaking points as she began to recognize the characters based on the book's description.  At one point Max was leaning on me with his eyes closed and I thought I lost his interest until he started giggling over the stoic cat perched on the brick wall.  Mimi took hold of my wrist and asked "Can I read some out loud?"

Yes.

Yes. You can.

At the rate we're going it may take us a year to finish the series, but who cares.  We have plenty of time and if we happen to run out I'll use my time-turner necklace.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad this worked for you! Unfortunately, not even magic could convince my sons of how wonderful reading is, so at this point I'm just glad I taught them HOW and that they're able to. Just for some inexplicable reason, they choose not to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And.....I wish we'd had more moments where we could bond over books and stories. Because the times that we DID? Was magical for ME.

    ReplyDelete